- Doctoral Candidate
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Worcester Polytechnic Institute
I am a PhD candidate working on MRI-compatible robotics and image-guided surgery. I am currently involved in developing fiber optic force sensing and teleoperation of Piezoelectric Driven Needle Placement Robot for Prostate Interventions and two side projects on MRI-guided robotic neurosurgery and Humanoid Robot for Autism Interventions in Children.
I did three month intern at Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories in 2012 summer. I worked on prostate robot design and image analysis at Surgical Planning Laboratory of Harvard Medical School and Brigham & Women's Hospital in 2010 summer. I studied robotics ( mobile manipulation) with Professor Venkat Krovi at State University of New York Buffalo. I obtained B.S. degree in Control Science and Engineering from Harbin Institute of Technology, China in 2006.
- [05/08/2012] Hao recieves International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) NSF Travel Fellowship award. He would present paper and workshop poster in ICRA.
- [04/15/2012] Hao's first authored paper "MRI-Guided Concentric Tube Continuum Robot with Piezoelectric Actuation: A Feasibility Study" is a finalist for Best Medical Robotics paper in IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation 2012!
[03/28/2012] Hao received $25,000 Advanced Simulation and Training Fellowship from the Link Foundation! The award will support his work on "Haptic Training and Interventional System for MRI-guided Percutaneous Needle Placement".
[02/04/2012] Hao presented work "A Networked Modular Hardware and Software System for MRI-guided Robotic Prostate Interventions" at SPIE Medical Imaging in San Diego, CA.
[11/10/2011] Hao received $7,800 Dr. Richard J. Schlesinger Award from American Society for Quality: "Quantification of Robot-Assisted Needle Placement for MRI-guided Transperineal Prostate Interventions"
- Image-guided Therapy
- Medical Robotics Design and Control
- Fiber Optic Force Sensing
- Haptics and Teleoperation
- Control System and Estimation
Prostate cancer is the most common male cancer and the second most common type of cancer. MRI is an ideal guidance modality with the ability to perform high quality, volumetric, real-time, multi-parametric imaging with high soft tissue contrast without ionizing radiation. The objective of this project is to develop highly sensitive and accurate image-guided interventional robotic system, which can be readily integrated to clinical work-flow, for targeted core biopsy as well as focal delivery of therapeutics to locally advanced tumor sites within the prostate.
I have developed three versions of MRI-compatible piezoelectric actuated robot for prostate biopsy with real-time in situ needle steering capability in 3T MRI. The 6-DOF robot consists of a modular 3-DOF needle driver with fiducial tracking frame and a 3-DOF actuated Cartesian stage. The needle driver provides needle cannula rotation and translation (2-DOF) and stylet translation (1-DOF).
Traditional sensors in robotics include force and positioning sensing. However, off-the-shelf sensors are not suitable for use in MRI due to the potential for image degradation, malfunction, or safety issues. We are evaluating and developing sensors to be used in the MR environment. The current focus is on optical techniques for force and position sensing that do not compromise image quality and will allow for haptic feedback during MRI-guided interventions.
To re-gain the tactile feedback during needle insertion, we have developed two versions of fiber optic force sensors. The light intensity modulated force sensor can measure insertion force and bending moments. while the light phase modulated force sensor is a miniaturized sensor capable of detecting micro Newton level force variation. These devices will bridge the tactile gap often felt with a teleoperated system. The final goal is to design a teleoperated needle placement system that can plan the needle path and accurately align the needle with MRI guidance, while the fiber optic force sensor measures the insertion force and renders the tactile feedback.
With increasing research on system integration for image-guided therapy (IGT), there has been a strong demand for standardized communication among devices and software to share data such as target positions, images and device status. We have worked on integration and development of components for OpenIGTLink, a standardized mechanism to connect software/hardware through the network for image-guided therapy (IGT) applications.
Despite a substantial armamentarium of apparatuses and systems has been developed to assist surgical diagnosis and therapy for MRI-guided procedures over last decade, the unified method to develop high fidelity robotic systems in terms of accuracy, dynamic performance, size, robustness and modularity, to work inside close-bore MRI scanner still remains a challenge. In this work, we develop and evaluate an integrated modular hardware and software system to support the surgical workflow of intra-operative MRI. Specifically, the distinct apparatuses and methods include: 1) a robot controller system for precision closed loop control of piezoelectric motors, 2) a robot control interface software that connects the 3D Slicer navigation software and the robot controller to exchange robot commands and coordinates using the OpenIGTLink open network communication protocol, and 3) MRI scan plane alignment to the planned path and imaging of the needle as it is inserted into the target location.
This project was initially conceptualized to design an novel neck mechanism for a humanoid robot, and later we decided to build a penguin humanoid robot
to interact with Autistic children to aid diagnosis and even standardize the diagnosis procedure. Autism Spectrum Disorder impacts an ever increasing number of children. The disorder is marked by social functioning that is characterized by impairment in the use of nonverbal behaviors, failure to develop appropriate peer relationships and lack of social and emotional exchanges. Providing early intervention through the modality of play therapy has been effective in improving behavioral and social outcomes for children with autism. Interacting with humanoid robots that provide simple emotional response and interaction has been shown to improve the communication skills of autistic children. In particular, early intervention and continuous care provide signi?cantly better outcomes. Currently, there are no robots capable of meeting these requirements that are both low-cost and available to families of autistic children for inhome use. We are piloting the use of robotics as an improved diagnostic and early intervention tool for autistic children that is affordable, non-threatening, durable, and capable of interacting with an autistic child.
- Cole GA, Harrington K, Su H, Camilo A, Pilitsis JG, Fischer GS, Closed-Loop Actuated Surgical System Utilizing In-Situ Real-Time MRI Guidance, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics - Experimental Robotics, eds. Khatib O, Kumar V, Sukhatme G, Springer-Verlag, Vol. 79, pp 785-798, 2014. Springer, PDF
- Su H, Fischer GS, High-field MRI-Compatible Needle Placement Robots for Prostate Interventions: Pneumatic and Piezoelectric Approaches, eds. T. Gulrez and A. Hassanien, Advances in Robotics and Virtual Reality, Springer-Verlag, Intelligent Systems Reference Library, Vol. 26, pp. 3-32, 2012. Springer, PDF
- Su H, PhD Dissertation, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Force Sensing and Teleoperation of Continuum Robot for MRI-Guided Surgery, Dec. 2012. WPI ETD Link
- Su H, Master's Thesis, Cooperative Control of Nonholonomic Wheeled Mobile Manipulator Collectives, M.S. Thesis, Dept. of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, SUNY at Buffalo, Sep. 2008. PDF
Refereed Journal Publications
- Su H, Iordachita I, Hata N, Liu X, Seifabadi R, Xu S, Wood B, Fischer GS, Fiber Optic Force Sensors for MRI-Guided Interventions and Rehabilitation: A Review, IEEE Sensors Journal, Jan 2017 (In Press). IEEE
- Su H, Li G, Rucker C, Webster III RJ, Fischer GS, A Concentric Tube Continuum Robot with Piezoelectric Actuation for MRI-Guided Closed-loop Targeting, Annals of Biomedical Engineering (ABME) - Journal of the Biomedical Engineering Society, Vol 44, No 10, pp 2863-2873, Oct 2016. Springer, PubMed
- Su H, Shang W, Cole GA, Li G, Harrington K, Camilo A, Tokuda J, Tempany CM, Hata N, Fischer GS, Piezoelectrically Actuated Robotic System for MRI-Guided Prostate Percutaneous Therapy, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics, Vol 20, No 4, Aug 2015. IEEE, PDF
- Li G, Su H, Cole GA, Shang W, Harrington K, Camilo A, Pilitsis JG, Fischer GS, Robotic System for MRI-Guided Stereotactic Neurosurgery, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, Vol 64, No 4, pp 1088-1088, April 2015. IEEE, PDF
- Fu Y, Su H, Duan G, Robust Guaranteed Cost Filtering for Linear Uncertain Neutral Systems with Markovian Jumping Parameters, Journal of System Simulation, vol. 17, 2005
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Shang W, Su H, Li G, Furlong C, Fischer GS , A Fabry-Perot Interferometry Based MRI-Compatible Miniature Uniaxial Force Sensor for Percutaneous Needle, IEEE SENSORS 2013, Baltimore, MD, Nov. 2013. IEEE, PDF
- Shang W, Su H, Li G, Fischer GS , Teleoperation System with Hybrid Pneumatic-Piezoelectric Actuation for MRI-Guided Needle Insertion with Haptic Feedback, IEEE/RSJ International
Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems - IROS 2013, Tokyo, Japan, Nov. 2013. IEEE, PDF
- Ji W, Matte JD, Li G, Ma Y, Su H, Shang W, Fischer GS, Reconfigurable Fiducial-Integrated Modular Needle Driver for MRI-Guided Percutaneous Interventions, Design of Medical Devices Conferences (DMD), Minneapolis, MN, April 2013. ASME, DMD
- Li G, Su H, Shang W, Tokuda J, Hata N, Tempany CM, Fischer GS, A Fully Actuated Robotic Assistant for MRI-Guided Prostate Biopsy and Brachytherapy, SPIE Medical Imaging (Image-Guided Procedures, Robotic Interventions, and Modeling Conference), Orlando, USA, Feb. 2013. PubMed, SPIE
- Ma Y, Dobrev I, Shang W, Su H, Janga S, Fischer GS, CHIC: Cylindrical Helix Imaging Coordinate Registration Fiducial for MRI-Guided Interventions, 34th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), San Diego, USA, Aug. 2012. PubMed, IEEE, PDF
- Su H, Cardona D, Shang W, Cole GA, Rucker C, Webster III R, Fischer GS, A MRI-Guided Concentric Tube Continuum Robot with Piezoelectric Actuation: A Feasibility Study, IEEE ICRA 2012 International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA, May 2012 (Best medical robotics paper finalist). IEEE, PDF
- Su H, Shang W, Harrington K, Camilo A, Cole GA, Tokuda J, Hata N, Tempany CM, Fischer GS, A Networked Modular Hardware and Software System for MRI-guided Robotic Prostate Interventions, SPIE Medical Imaging, San Diego, USA, Feb. 2012. SPIE, PDF
- Su H, Cole GA, Hata N, Tempany CM, Fischer GS, Real-time MRI-Guided Transperineal Needle Placement Prostate Interventions with Piezoelectrically Actuated Robotic Assistance, Radiological Society of North America 97th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, Chicago, USA, Nov. 2011. RSNA
- Fischer GS, Cole GA, Su H, Approaches to Creating and Controlling Motion in MRI, In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Boston, USA, Aug. 2011. (Invited Paper) IEEE, PubMed, PDF
- Su H, Iordachita I, Yan X, Cole GA, Fischer GS, Reconfigurable MRI-Guided Robotic Surgical Manipulator: Prostate Brachytherapy and Neurosurgery Applications, In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Boston, USA, Aug. 2011. PubMed, IEEE
- Dickstein-Fischer LA, Alexander E, Yan X, Su H, Fischer GS, An Affordable Compact Humanoid Robot for Autism Spectrum Disorder Interventions in Children, In Proceedings of the 33rd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Boston, USA, Aug. 2011. PubMed, IEEE, PDF
- Su H, Zervas M, Cole GA, Furlong C, Fischer GS, Real-time MRI-Guided Needle Placement Robot with Integrated Fiber Optic Force Sensing, IEEE ICRA 2011 International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Shanghai, China, pp 1583-1588, May 2011. PDF, ICRA, BibTex, EndNote
- Su H, Zervas M, Furlong C, Fischer GS, A Miniature MRI-compatible Fiber-optic Force Sensor Utilizing Fabry-Perot Interferometer, SEM Annual Conference & Exposition on Experimental and Applied Mechanics, Uncasville, CT, USA, June 2011. SEM, PDF
- Su H, Camilo A, Cole GA, Tempany CM, Hata N, Fischer GS, High-Field MRI-Compatible Needle Placement Robot for Prostate Interventions, Proceedings of MMVR18 (Medicine Meets Virtual Reality), Newport Beach, California, USA, February, 2011, PDF
- H. Huang, H. Su, H. Chen, J. K. Mills, Piezoelectric Driven Non-toxic Injector for Automated Cell Manipulation, Proceedings of MMVR18 (Medicine Meets Virtual Reality), Newport Beach, California, USA, February, 2011. PDF
- Cole G, Harrington K, Su H, Camilo A, Pilitsis J, Fischer GS, Closed-Loop Actuated Surgical System Utilizing Real-Time In-Situ MRI Guidance, 12th International Symposium on Experimental Robotics - ISER 2010, New Delhi, India, December 2010. ISER BibTex EndNote
- Wang Y, Su H, Harrington K, Fischer GS, Sliding mode Control of Piezoelectric Valve Regulated Pneumatic Actuator for MRI-Compatible Robotic Intervention, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference - DSCC 2010, Cambridge, Massachusetts, September 2010. PDF, BibTex, EndNote
- Su H, Dickstein-Fischer L, Harrington K, Fu Q, Lu W, Fischer GS, Cable-Driven Elastic Parallel Humanoid Head with Face Tracking for Autism Spectrum Disorder Interventions, Proceedings of the 32nd Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 2010.PDF, EMBC
- Su H, Shang W, Cole GA, Harrington K, Fischer GS, Haptic System Design for MRI-Guided Needle Based Prostate Brachytherapy, Haptics Symposium - Haptics 2010, Waltham, Massachusetts, March 2010. PDF
- Su H, Shang W, Cole GA, Harrington K, Fischer GS, Design of a Haptic Device for MRI-Guided Prostate Needle Brachytherapy, IEEE Haptics Symposium, Boston, USA, March 2010. PDF, BibTex, EndNote
- Su H, Fischer GS, A 3-Axis Optical Force/Torque Sensor for Prostate Needle Placement in Magnetic Resonance Imaging Environments, 2nd Annual IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications - TePRA 2009, Woburn, Massachusetts, November 2009. PDF, BibTex, EndNote
- Wang Y, Cole GA, Su H, Pilitis JG, Fischer GS, MRI Compatibility Evaluation of a Piezoelectric Actuator System for a Neural Interventional Robot, 31st Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society - EMBC 2009, Minneapolis, Minnesota, September 2009. PDF, EMBS, PubMed, BibTex, EndNote
- Su H, Krovi V, Decentralized Motion Control of Payload Transport by Nonholonomic Mobile Manipulators, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference, Ann Arbor, USA, 2008. PDF
Conference Abstracts, Workshops and Non Peer-Reviewed Papers
- Suqui K, Strobel H, Nycz C, Fischer GS, Rolle MW, Analysis of Structure and Strength of Tissue Rings Fabricated in Custom Machined Culture Wells, BMES 2016 Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, USA, Oct. 2016. BMES
- Fischer GS, Su H, Shang W, Li G, Hata N, Tempany C, Teleoperated Needle Placement for Real-time MRI-guided Prostate Interventions, 9th Interventional MRI Symposium (iMRI), Boston, MA, USA, Sept. 2012.
- Fischer GS, Shang W, Su H , Robot-Assisted Needle Alignment with Image-Guided Teleoperated Needle Insertion for Prostate Cancer Interventions, 20th Scientific Meeting and Exhibition of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine - ISMRM 2012, May 2012. PDF
- Swaney P, Burgner J, Cardona D, Su H, Pheiffer T, Rucker C, Lathop R, Gilbert H,
Fischer GS, Miga M, Webster III R, Image-Guided Targeting of Concentric Tube Robots: Experiments using Ultrasound, Computed Tomography, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging, IEEE IROS IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Workshop on Image-Guided Medical Robotic Interventions,
San Fransico, USA, Sept. 2011. PDF
- Su H, Yan X, Fischer GS, A 4-DOF Parallel Robotic Platform for MR Image-Guided Percutaneous Prostate Interventions, IEEE IROS IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Workshop on Image-Guided Medical Robotic Interventions,
San Fransico, USA, Sept. 2011. PDF
- Su H, Iordachita I, Yan X, Fischer GS, Reconfigurable MRI-Guided Robotic Surgical Manipulator: Prostate Brachytherapy and Neurosurgery Applications, 7th Annual New England Manipulation Symposium (NEMS), Yale University, CT, USA, May 20, 2011
- Fischer GS, Su H, Piezoelectrically Actuated MRI-Compatible Needle Placement Robot for Transperineal Prostate Interventions, 7th Annual New England Manipulation Symposium (NEMS), Yale University, CT, USA, May 20, 2011.
- Su H, Fischer GS, Active Needle Steering System for Percutaneous Prostate Intervention in High-field MRI, Robotics Science and Systems, Workshop on Enabling Technologies for Image-Guided Interventional Procedures, June 2010. PDF
- Su H, Harrington K, Cole GA, Wang Y, Fischer GS, Modular Needle Steering Driver for MRI-guided Transperineal Prostate Intervention, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation, Workshop on Snakes, Worms and Catheters: Continuum and Serpentine Robots for Minimally Invasive Surgery, Anchorage, AK, May 2010. BU, PDF
- Su H, Harrington K, Cole GA, Fischer GS, Active Needle Steering for Percutaneous Prostate Intervention in High-field MRI, 2010 Robotics: Science and Systems Conference, Workshop on Enabling Technologies for Image-Guided Robotic Interventional Procedures, Zaragoza, Spain, 2010. PDF
- Fischer G and Su H, "Apparatus and Methods for MRI Compatible Haptic Interfaces" (US full utility patent filed November 2010)
Fischer G, Su H, Dickstein-Fischer L, Harrington K, and Alexander E, "System and Method for Autism Spectrum Disorder Interventions" (US provisional patent filed August 29 2011)
Review and Robotics Society Service
- Editor of Journal of Autism-Open Access
- Chair of Surgical Robotics session at IEEE Engineering in Medicine & Biology Conference (EMBC 2011)
- Committee member of 4th Annual IEEE International Conference on Technologies for Practical Robot Applications (TePRA)
- Reviewer, Journal of Robotics and Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- Reviewer, International Journal of Robotics and Automation
- Reviewer, Medical Engineering & Physics
- Reviewer,ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control
- Reviewer,Journal of Intelligent and Robotic Systems
- Reviewer, International Journal of Medical Robotics and Computer Assisted Surgery
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Robotics
- Reviewer, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control
- Reviewer, IEEE/ASME Transactions on Mechatronics
- Reviewer, Measurement Science and Technology (Institute of Physics)
- Reviewer, Robotica
- Reviewer, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering
- Reviewer, Robotics: Science and Systems Conference
- Reviewer, IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA)
- Reviewer, ASME Dynamic Systems and Control Conference (DSCC)
- Reviewer, IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent RObots and Systems (IROS)
- Reviewer, International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC)
- Reviewer, Haptics Symposium
Awards and Honors
- 05/2012 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) NSF Travel Fellowship
- 03/2012 Link Foundation Fellowship in Advanced Simulation and Training
- 11/2011 Dr. Richard Schlesinger Grant Award, Biomedical Division of American Society for Quality
- 03/2011 WPI Graduate Student Conference Travel Award
- 03/2011 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA) NSF Travel Fellowships
- 05/2010 WPI Graduate Student Conference Travel Award
- 09/2010 WPI Graduate Student of the Month
- 11/2009 Judges' Award for "Innovation Most Affecting the Quality of Life" - a robotic system to assist in the surgical procedure of deep brain stimulation, Robotics Innovations Competition and Conference, November 7-8, 2009 (with Greg Cole, Kevin Harrington)
- 1/2007 New York State GSEU Professional Development Award
- Joshua Matte (2012): Compact Steerable Needle Driver for MRI-Guided Prostate Interventions, Directed Research Project
Yunzhao Ma(2012): Novel Compact Fiducial based Real-time Tracking, Course Research Project
- Satya Janga (2012): MRI-guided Needle Detection and Tracking Using Kalman Filtering, Master thesis
- Elizabeth Alexander(2011): Cable-Driven Humanoid Head with Face Tracking for Autism Spectrum Disorder Interventions, Undergraduate Thesis
- Yuanfang Gui(2011): FPGA-based High Speed Haptic Systems for Telerobotic Surgery,Directed Research Project
- Xiaoan Yan(2011): Parallel Manipulator for MRI-Guided Surgical Needle Placement, Course Research Project
Copyright Notice: The materials in the papers listed are presented to ensure timely dissemination of scholarly and technical work. Copyright and all rights therein are retained by authors or by other copyright holders. All persons copying this information are expected to adhere to the terms and constraints invoked by each author's copyright. In most cases, these works may not be reposted without the explicit permission of the copyright holder.